Friday, July 30, 2010

Green with Env(i)


Two days ago, I went to Bench Trinoma to purchase facial wipes that I use to remove my make up.  When in Bench or other stores selling undergarments, I always visit the ladies undergarments section to see if there are new bras or panties.  It became a habit for me to check out new designs and offerings. You see I have this long love affair with bras and panties.  Fifteen years ago, I was in the business of making ladies undergarments which I supplied to local store chains. It lasted for 8 years.  Oh well that's getting ahead of the story.

Looking around, my eyes feasted on the candy-colored printed panties for young ladies. Oh to be young again.  I settled for the next best thing, plain colored panties that come in various colors.  Fushsia, canary yellow, emerald green, white, cream, violet, pink....  Upon scrutiny, I was intrigued with the label.  It says Envi.  Why Envi?  Well it turned out that the Envi panty line is composed of 65% bamboo fiber, 30% cotton and 5% spandex. It is packed individually in a box that says that Envi is renewable, biodegradable and sustainable because of the fiber used, bamboo fiber. I right away googled bamboo fiber. Bamboo fiber is a 20th century development pioneered by Chinese businessmen. It is very soft and can be worn directly next to the skin.  Aside from its softness, it is ideal to be worn by people with sensitive skin because of its superior wicking property.  Wicking is the ability of the fabric to move sweat away from the skin to the outer surface of the fabric.

Aside from the physical characteristics of bamboo fiber that makes it at par if not superior to cotton, it is also favored by companies trying to use sustainable materials.  The bamboo plant is very quick growing and does not usually require the use of pesticides and herbicides to thrive. As a result, plantations can easily be kept organic and replanted yearly to replenish stocks.

I am glad I bought Envi.  It made me realize that man will find ways to substitute the usual materials with ENVIronment-friendly alternatives.  Who says you can't marry business with green living?


http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=7448895626413317633

 http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-bamboo-fabric.htm

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/dressingforyourbodytype/g/Wicking.htm

http://www.agribusinessweek.com/realizing-the-potential-of-bamboo-as-a-cash-crop/

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment