Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Surviving Water Rationing


I woke up today with the news that there is no water coming out of the faucet.  Yes, I heard about the water shortage but I didn't give it much thought as we have an overhead tank that could supply our consumption for a one and a half days.  Suddenly "water rationing" which became a byword in Metro Manila for the last days has become a reality.  Reality just sunk in.  I readily called up my old reliable water supplier, Toto, whom I turned to in the past when there was sudden outage of water.  Alas Toto can't deliver as well as there was no supply.  My husband was already panicking as he had an afternoon appointment with a client. What to do?  My househelper took the initiative of fetching water from the deep well of a neighbor.  The water smelled rusty but it will do for flushing the toilets and on extreme cases, for baths. Ughh.   I prayed for rain.  By noon, my househelper happily informed me that the water supply has resumed.  It dawned on me that water rationing is already in place in our barangay.  I thought our barangay and those near us are spared because of our proximity to the La Mesa Dam.  Well I thought wrong.  I readily took a bath afraid that the water supply will be cut off at once.  All available containers were filled to the brim.  All of a sudden I took notice of the rantings of the environmentalists about climate change.  There's no room for procrastination.  Everyone has to get his act together.  

To endure or survive water rationing which MWSS, the government agency tasked with regulating the water distribution concessionaires among others, said could last up to September, here is a list of water saving technologies by GMA 7's Saksi:
  • Adaption of big establishments of waterless urinals.  This technology will save 315 million liters of water per year.  Four liters of water is used per flushing.
  • Used water can be recycled through the water treatment facility.  The by product is not fit for drinking but could be used for washing, rinsing, cleaning, and watering of plants.
  • When taking a bath, use the "tabo" of old instead of using the shower.
  • Use used water for flushing.
  • Repair leaks in the water line.
  • Use a basin for rinsing when washing plates and other utensils and kitchenware instead of letting water flow from the faucet.

No comments:

Post a Comment