Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What Kind of Air Do We Breathe?

Baby using inhaler and spacer.Image via Wikipedia
Two months ago, I had colds.  What struck me as odd was I was the first one to have it in the house.  Usually I was the last one to get it, that is after all the people in the house has been infected by it.  Days passed and I was already coughing.  I started taking medicines for both colds and cough so as not to be sidelined for so long.  The colds medicine worked but the ones for my cough did not.  I also observed a wheezing sound coming from my breath.  I immediately suspected asthma and my doctor confirmed it.  It was a bitter pill to swallow that I have asthma at this age, not when I was in my elementary days, but now.  Aside from my medication for hypertension, I am now taking one, rather inhaling one, for asthma.  I feel insecure if I don't have my inhaler in my bag when I leave the house.

What is asthma?  Asthma is the disease that affects the airways of the lungs and is caused by the on-going inflammation of these airways.

Asthma affects all ages, although it is more common in younger people. The frequency and severity of asthma attacks tend to decrease as a person ages.  Asthma is the most common chronic disease of children.  It cannot be cured but luckily, it can be controlled if diagnosed and treated early.  If you have parents who have asthma, chances are you will get it too.  Exposure to airborne allergens like dust mites, dander of animals and irritants like tobacco smoke contributes to making your airways sensitive when you breathe.

I asked myself why there are more cases of asthma nowadays.  Aside from the reasons above,  people tend to stay more indoor thus exposing them to indoor allergens like dust mites and molds.  People nowadays are also shielded from infection compared to the older generation thus the immune systems tend to be sensitive.  Lastly,  the air we breathe now is more polluted than before.  According to Secretary Paje of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the air pollution measured by total suspended particles (TSP) in the air, in Metro Manila has worsen since last year. TSP is the total solid and liquid suspended particles in air. The major sources are diesel vehicles and coal-powered power plants.  Last year, TSP was 134 micrograms (ug)/Normal cubic meters (Ncm) which was already 48% beyond the normal standard of 90 micrograms (ug)/Normal cubic meters (Ncm).  Early this year, TSP was at 163.  Now I understand why I belatedly got asthma.  The air that we breathe is getting worse.

According to a World Bank study in 2007, pollution is already the major cause of respiratory and cardiovascular diseases in the Philippines.  More than 50% of the medicines bought or sold in the country is for the cure of respiratory diseases.

Sec. Paje said that the main pollutants are the jeepneys, buses and tricycles or the transport sector which accounts to 80% of the pollution load.  The remaining 20% is by industries.  The DENR, bent on cutting down the TSP by 30% in 2011, said that it will be stricter in the conduct of emission testing by the Land Transportation Office.  Installation of CCTV cameras in the emission testing centers to ensure that all vehicles undergo the testing is one measure that will be undertaken.  Aside from being vigilant, the government can also encourage more motorists to fill their fuel pumps with biodiesel or ethanol and maintain same vehicles with green lubricants from vegetable-derived esters.

Though as ordinary citizens we are not in a position to rein in the irresponsible practices of the transport and power industries, we can do our share.  We can start with the vehicles in our garages by adhering to regular maintenance program and being sensitive to ways that contribute to pollution.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/asthma/article_em.htm
http://www.thepoc.net/breaking-news/breaking-stories/9751-denr-air-pollution-in-metro-worse.html
http://www.denr.gov.ph/article/articleview/5827/1/39/Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment